Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Word For This Year Is...

No, my word is not procrastination. It should be since it's taken me this long to decide on what my word of the year is. For those of you who may have forgotten my 2009 word, it was "adjustment". Let's see how that worked out for me...

1. Adjustment to living in a new state and a new town. I think that has been achieved.
2. Adjustment to living in a much smaller home. I can see one end of the house from the other end. Who needs more room anyway? I still would love an extra bedroom and an extra bathroom though.
3. Adjustment to a new job in a new field since I knew nothing about the oil business before a month ago. That's going well since I'm still at the same job, learning and growing every day, and I've already gotten one promotion.
4. Adjustment to a new church family. Will I grow to love them as much as my old church family? I hope so since they are the only one I will have. Oh, what a wonderful church family. I'm so fortunate to have made some wonderful new friends. I've also been blessed to have members who've helped me make sure that Joe has been cared for by taking him for doctor visits and just stopping by to visit him while I'm at work.
5. Adjustment to the weather. I won't elaborate on that since many of my blogs talk about that all important subject. Cold is still cold, but it doesn't seem as bad as it was in the beginning. The wind still blows hard and the temperature stays below freezing most of the time, but I'm enjoying the weather. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the spring/summer/fall here except it's too short.
6. Adjustment to not knowing my neighbors. I still don't know alot of my neighbors since work seems to prevent that, but I know that I would feel comfortable going to any of their homes in case of an emergency.
7. Adjustment to not having my friends near me other than on the internet. Thank God for emails, Facebook, cell phones, texting, telephones, cards, etc.!
8. Adjustment to my time schedule. Yes, I've gotten used to arising from my bed around 4:00 AM! Do I like it? No, but I've adjusted and there is always the weekend when I can sleep in!
9. Adjustment to the realization that Corey, Nikki and Derek are just down the road. (Well, almost). How fantastic to have made several trips to Utah to see the kids and not have to plan time and money several months in advance! I just wish they were a little bit closer so I could see them more.
10. Adjustment to having some anticipated free time. Maybe I will finally get back to enjoying a good book again. Still haven't read a book yet. Started a couple, but never finished. The closest my book reading has come from has been attending lectures presented by authors about their books.
11. Adjustment to it being just Joe and I (and the furry kids) in our little family group here. No more hopping over to Mom and Dad's or Susan's or Nancy's or seeing other relatives. Still a bummer on this as I would love to be able to pop on over to visit Mom and Dad and seeing other family members.

So, I think my 2009 word served me well and it's on to my 2010 word which is...

Patience

I chose this word because of continued changes that are occurring in my life mainly because of Joe.

Joe continues to experience health problems and they seem to be occurring more often. He is now putting eyedrops in his eyes for glaucoma and his eyesight is slowly failing. He continues to experience problems with keeping his blood sugar under control which still creates problems with his kidneys. If the truth were known, I could start at the top of his cute fuzzy head down to his eight toes and point out problems along the way.

Because I'm gone so much of the day and Joe is left on his own, this causes a great deal of stress on me from time to time. And, I don't see this getting any better.

So, patience is the perfect word for me this year:

1. Patience to understand how Joe feels and have more compassion for him.
2. Patience with Joe when he doesn't do as I think he should or as quickly as I think he should.
3. Patience with getting things done when I want them done as they relate to myself.
4. Patience to deal with the changes in Joe's health.
5. Patience to deal with the changes I'm beginning to experience.
6. Patience to understand that things don't happen just because I want them to.

I'm sure there are more instances where patience comes into play in my life other than waiting in lines or waiting on paydays or the regular day-to-day occurrences. I just want patience and I want it now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment