Sunday, August 2, 2009

Eye Hope It's Nothing

Yesterday Joe started noticing a floating black spot in his right eye. Today the floating black spot was even larger. In fact, he had almost decided he could not go to church as it was difficult to see out of the eye. I convinced him to go if for no other reason than he could receive a priesthood blessing.

When we got to the church and while standing outside, I looked at his eyes and discovered pink spots in both of his eyes. After seating him, I went to find the Bishop and told him we needed help and badly since we didn't know of any doctors in town. To make a long story short, before we left someone had made arrangements for him to see a doctor in the morning. A ride had even been made available for him since it is almost impossible for me to take a day off from work.

I cannot tell you what a blessing that was for me personally. It was also a validation to me that we are in the right ward with the right people. People who have stepped up to the plate once again and come to our aid. How grateful I am for that. These are the same people who have brought food to our home, have called to check on us, have taken Joe out of the house for lunch or visits or whatever, have moved furniture for us, have loved us. (Don't get me wrong though, I would so love to have had the opportunity of being with Mom and Dad and having Dad give Joe a blessing. This is when it's hard being away from them).

That's why I cannot turn down the opportunity to serve others when I'm contacted - usually to provide food for a family or individual. That's why we feed the missionaries and love them deeply. That's why I make sure I do my visiting teaching every month because I know what it means to me.

I can only hope that Joe's eye problems is but a small bump in our road. It has been one of my greatest joys to share our new surroundings with Joe in the passenger seat. How sad it would be if he could not visually share that with me. How grateful I am for the doctor who took a chance on him almost 5 years ago and did surgery on both of his eyes when no one else would. That doctor gave him back sight which has made it possible to enjoy life even more.

I also hope it's a small bump as Joe is now actively seeking employment somewhere. In fact, he's supposed to be somewhere tomorrow afternoon and is concerned if he will be able to do so. Joe needs to be out in the world sharing his wry sense of humor and head full of useless trivia. It's time to leave the nest and hopefully he will be able to do so.

I believe in prayer and know that my Heavenly Father knows best. I know I love my best friend and we will get through this no matter what happens. But, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and looking for my lucky rabbit foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment