Friday, June 5, 2009

Smorgasbord Day

Today was a smorgasbord day. That means we did lots of different things today. Since this was one of my days off, that meant lots of errands to finish and then go have some fun.

After sleeping in until 6:45 a.m. and getting ready to leave, Joe and I took off for a couple of doctor's appointments. In between the two of them, I actually went to the Social Security office and turned in my paperwork and documentation to finally and officially have my name changed to Carol Weaver after almost 5 years!!!

When all our necessary tasks were completed and we had a full tank of gas ($2.30 per gallon) then it was time to play. First thing we did was drive up a portion of Casper Mountain to explore the waterfall we'd discovered while Aunt Ruth and David were here. (Apparently we hadn't spotted it during the winter..I wonder why). Here are some pictures of our trek to the falls.

Resting on the way up. It's quite a walk up to the falls.This was the road we drove down to get to the falls. No pretty pavement here!After leaving the falls, we decided to see if we could locate one of the pioneer graves I'd read about in Evansville which is right next to Casper. We were looking for the grave of a woman and our directions said we had to cross over the railroad tracks, go over the river, turn right at the next road (gravel), travel five miles, turn right and drive .3 miles to a log house and ask permission and get directions. We did, but no one was home. So we'll try again another day. On the way back, I discovered there were lots of wild flowers growing by the side of the road and out in the fields. (My love for western wild flowers used to drive Corey crazy when we traveled out here).

These are some of the flowers we saw and I think you'll agree they are quite beautiful and unique - especially considering some grown in desert like conditions.
This is actually grass and not flowers. The grass is a thin, purplish/burgundy color and very wispy. Yes, this is cactus and it's quick plentiful in the prairie fields. That's why we have to be very careful where we let the furry kids out to do their "business". And, it is now snake and tick season! This is sage brush which the antelope seem to really enjoy. That's the main reason that people don't want to hunt/eat antelope here - too much sage taste. A lone bird sitting on an old fence post. I found this decaying rattlesnake. (I always say..."the only good snake, is a dead snake").
This baby bunny was sitting by the side of the road all by itself.We also saw three dead antelope which I decided wasn't worth capturing in photos. Also, while taking pictures of the flowers, I discovered a couple of Indian artifacts - one appeared to be a spearhead and the other was a cleaning tool.

So, although I didn't find the grave, we did have a good time and can always try again.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember the wildlfower rule. No picking unless there are more then ten in an area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did no picking whatsoever. You have to also be careful about not leaving your footprint on the environment.

    ReplyDelete