Sunday, March 18, 2012

On This Day in History...

March 17, 1973…In North Vietnam, the first American prisoners of war were released from the "Hanoi Hilton."
------------------------------------------------
I remember all this very well.  I was 20 years old and living in Jacksonville, Florida.  I remember sitting in Aunt Ruth's living room and us watching the arrival of the Vietnam POW's on television.  I sat there watching these men return over the period of over a couple of months to their families who had not seen them for many years.  It still brings tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat when I read about their return or see news clips of those homecomings.  I guess in the back of my mind I realize that it could have been my dad in their situation, but fortunately he came home when he was supposed to.

I was very fortunate to be working at a Ford dealership at this particular time.  Ford Motor Company was giving the returning POW's the use of a new car for a year following their return.  My boss, Ray Curry, was in charge of the program for those returning to the Jacksonville Naval Air Station area.  One day he was having a lunch meeting with some of the returning men and invited me to come along.  What an exciting opportunity for me.  I do remember meeting John McCain that day and also think that Jeremiah Denton was there also.

John McCain on his return back to Jacksonville.

abcnews.go.com/Archives/video/feb-12-1973-pows-return-vietnam-9366650#.T26aV51hXxZ.blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment