Sunday, March 7, 2010

My First Apartment and Car

Either in 1972 or 1973, I finally moved away from home and was on my own for awhile. I decided to move to Jacksonville, Florida as it would be close to home yet far enough away to be independent. Also, I would have family located in the same city - Aunt Ruth. In fact, I lived with her for awhile until I found my apartment which was located on Blanding Boulevard and I got a job working at Duval Motors in the lease department. Life was exciting for me on my own for the first time. Some time later, Susan decided to come and live with me until she got married to Dale later on.

This was the front of my apartment...


Lovely glamour shots (notice the mini-dress). It's so funny to look at these pictures and remember that I didn't feel very pretty at the time. In fact, one of the career possibilities I had checked into at that time was being a "stewardess" for Eastern Airlines. I went for an initial interview, was invited to return for a second one, but I didn't do so as I thought I wouldn't be pretty enough to work as a stewardess. That was one of those opportunities I lost out to and who knows where and how my life might have changed had I more confidence in me. (Note that I was also wearing my POW bracelet of Maj. Ernest DeSoto that I had worn since 1970. That story is for another posting).

This is how I spent most weekends...at the beach. I loved it.

Returning from the beach in my little coverup. The picture also shows my first purchased car...a Ford Maverick. Though it was the sports model, I HaTEd that car and traded it as soon as possible for a Mustang!!! Now that was a car!

Ooooh weee...it's the bathing beauty. Miss Tropicana herself...

Brother Jimmy even showed up for a visit to his sisters' new digs. I remember the carpeting in the apartment was a very deep shag and if you dropped something small, too bad.

I lived in this apartment until after Susan got married and then moved into another apartment by myself.

------------------------------------

It was also while living in this apartment that I turned down a marriage proposal from Wallace Martin. That, too, will be another posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment