Saturday, April 5, 2008



  1. 1. Cashier at Hardee's in Valdosta while attending Valdosta Technical College. I had all the french fries I ever wanted to eat; hated cleaning the milkshake machine; taking orders for "erenge" sodas (that means "orange"). Left because I moved to New Jersey when Dad came back from Vietnam.

  2. 2. Secretary in the printing department at Deborah Heart and Lung Center in Brownsville, New Jersey. I had to get a chest x-ray there every six months to discover if I'd contracted tuberculosis from any of the patients. You got stuck on the elevator with people wearing masks to prevent them from coughing TB germs all over you. This is where I met and worked with my best friend Ericka (Ricki) McPherson who became a member of the Church. She and I were the only females in a sea of young, eligible males since we were living on or beside two military bases. That's a whole story in itself. Left because I moved back to Georgia.

  3. International Harvester - secretary at a business that sold farm implements. If I remember correctly, I left because I moved to Jacksonville, Florida.

  4. Holiday Inn as a desk clerk. I did this in the evening out of sheer boredom from living in south Georgia. Left because I moved to Atlanta.

  5. Kelley Manufacturing Company as a departmental secretary and then promoted as a Junior Buyer. left due to layoff. Moved to Atlanta.

  6. Physical Therapist at Tift Regional Hospital. I can't remember how I got this job and how I was turned loose to perform physical therapy on hospital patients! Scary, huh? Can't remember why I left, hmmmmm.

  7. Furniture salesperson/secretary. Got my purse stolen one day when a group of young thugs distracted me and the others stole my purse. The purse was recovered many years later where it had apparently been thrown by the side of the road near the country club and discovered by a man who called me to return the purse. I think the business went out of business.

  8. A legal secretary for Wells Fargo Pony Express in Atlanta left for another job. A legal secretary for a man who became a district attorney; Left to have baby. A legal secretary for a very powerful and well known attorney in south Georgia. Left because the man intimidated me everyday! Took me 10 months to get the nerve to tell him I was quitting.

  9. Worked as a departmental secretary for Honeywell Corporation in Atlanta. Left to move down to south Georgia to start married life away from Atlanta.

  10. First real job away from home in Jacksonville was as lease department secretary for Duval Motors - largest Ford dealership in the U.S. Can't remember why I left, but I do know that I got a job working for...

  11. Secretary for the City of Jacksonville in their Utility Regulatory Department. Took complaints from unhappy people every day all day long. Left here to move back to Tifton because of broken hearted relationships.

  12. Worse job ever...worked at the Diagnostic Veternarian Lab for two weeks only!!! I unpacked strange packages delivered by UPS which would contain dead animals, dead animal body parts, etc. some preserved in formaldahyde, some not. Watched dead cows being dissected, smelled animal body parts toasted over bunsen burners all while wearing white pants, white shirt, white shoes, white lab coat. Great money, but not worth gagging and smelling nasty everyday!!!

  13. Technical assistance consultant for child care resource and referral agency covering ten counties in south Georgia. Later became project manager over 25 child care providers in special Air Force project.

  14. Secretary for the USDA as a temporary job for several months.

  15. Worked for marketing firm until boss kept coming onto me and making promises he wouldn't keep.

  16. Trainer/Consultant for Lakeshore Learning Materials. Conducted trainings and workshops all over the U.S.; and

  17. Now I'm an assistant to the Human Resources Manager at a Food Commissary warehouse. (We supply all the items that restaurants use from staff t-shirts to the t-bone steaks and everything in between). We have almost 300 employees at our distribution center.

  18. more as I think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment