Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Hummingbird



It was a beautiful morning when I woke up. (Well, as beautiful as it can be when you have to get up at 6:15 a.m.) I'd gotten to sleep with the windows open and the blinds raised and had actually slept all night. (Wearing earplugs helps a lot). Anyway, while dressing for work I looked out the window and there was a hummingbird hovering over one of my wild rose bushes. It was incredible - so small, so unusual, so unexpected. I woke Joe up to tell him and then it disappeared before I had the chance to show him or grab my camera. But, I just knew it was an omen. An omen that this was going to be a fantastic day. After all, how many times does a hummingbird just show up out of the blue?

When I arrived at work I even told Tami, my boss lady, it was going to be a fantastic day because I'd seen the hummingbird. All went well until about 9:00 a.m. and then the day seemed to steadily decline. Not necessarily for me as my day proceeded with the usual questions about insurance, customer service calls from clients, calls about submitted applications, calls from truck drivers, etc. But, for everyone else it seemed as though it soon became a very unwanted day more so than usual. Isn't it wonderful to not be the aim of potential, impending doom and gloom for once?! Isn't it nice being on the outside looking in for once?! It was the kind of day that I even had to go into Tami's office, close the door and suggest that a word of prayer might be needed and she agreed. How thankful I felt to have been the helper this time around; the one who could offer my strength, a listening ear and a big hug. But, isn't even nicer to know that she was there for me in previous days doing exactly the same thing...Offering her shoulders to cry on and her listening ear. It was a further confirmation for me that I am truly at the right place at the right time for the right reasons.

I feel truly blessed at this juncture of my life to be seemingly reaching a little balance in my life - at least between my marriage and my job and that's been a long time coming. Like I said, I'm blessed! However, the next time I see a hummingbird first thing in the morning when dressing for work, I may have to shoot that omen with my BB gun instead of my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment