Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Halloween Memories

I don't recall any pictures taken of me in costume. Hmmm... I don't recall any store bought costumes either. Mom always did a wonderful job of making sure we had wonderful costumes. I always wanted to be a fairy princess though.

Halloween was always such a fun time for me growing up. It was a time when Mom and Dad could send me and the rest of my siblings off all by ourselves with a time to return and didn't have to worry about us. Since we generally lived on or near a military base, it was considered safe. And, at that time in the world, there wasn't any reason to believe it shouldn't be safe. The news didn't report child kidnappings, objects planted in candy or anything else that could harm children. People even gave away home-baked items then and you took them.

I remember what was probably my last night of Trick or Treating. All of us kids left the house with our return time. Mom left instructions for us to not eat any of the candy until we returned home. We went by one house and I saw the lady put a packaged small pecan pie into our Halloween bags. I knew I wanted that and didn't want to share so upon our return home I went into the laundry room. Using only the light from the hallway, I found the pecan pie, opened it up very quietly and began eating it. Halfway through the pie, one of the kids discovered me and turned on the light. Then, much to my surprise and disguist, I discovered that my coveted and desired had mold growing on it. I made a fast dash to the bathroom to wash out my mouth and brush my teeth. I should have listened to Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment