Monday, October 18, 2010

Celebrating Long Distance Day

When I found out that today was Long Distance Day it made me stop and think what a blessing the telephone is. Without it I would be unable to call the people I love. I would miss the phone calls that I have most everyday with my dad on my way to the car pool parking lot. During those phone calls we get the chance to catch up on what happened the day before. Long distance also affords me the opportunity to chat with Mom on those rare occasions when she is awake and lucid. I miss the long and detailed calls we used to have several times a day when living in Georgia.

With long distance I get to speak with my grandson who is now beginning to have real conversations with his Grandma Carol. I especially enjoy it when he "shows" me something through the telephone. I get the chance to speak with Corey and Nikki and share in the activities of their lives. With my cell phone, I get the opportunity to experience some of the fun events as they happen in the lives of the kids.

This one was entitled "Ah, the art of buggy surfing"...

This one is "I love ice cream"...

"Check out my new bed gmom and gpa"...

"Saturday With Daddy" . (Notice the sweatshirt).

"He's a regular Picasso"...

Long distance is a wonderful thing in that you can call old friends and family whether they are across the country or in another country. I remember when I used to think long and hard before making a long distance call as it was quite expensive to do so. Now days, we don't think twice about doing so. The longest long distance calls I've ever made were to and from England to the McLean's. (I almost married their son John. That is a whole nuther story).

I still remember the first phone number I ever had to memorize. I was in first grade and back in those days you learned your pone number just in case you ever got lost. It was PARK 35496 in Hampton, Virginia. The number was dialed on a telephone that looked similar to this...

When Joe and I first started dating, we would talk on the telephone for several hours each night. I can't even begin to remember what all we talked about for those hours on end! Ah, new love - it makes you crazy and non-sensible. Think of all the sleep I lost! And that was long distance time. I can't remember the exact amount of my cellphone bill after the first month because I definitely went over my monthly minutes, but I do remember it was very expensive!

The strangest long distance call I made was on top of a snowy mountain peak outside Laramie, Wyoming using a bag cell phone when Corey and I were on vacation. We had borrowed it from some friends so that we could keep in touch with Mom and Dad while we were on our trip and we would also be able to book motel rooms when we decided to stop for the night.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how long distance has affected by life, but won't.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and the knowledge that you brought to it. I had no idea what today was! Thanks a bunch. Hope all is still getting better for you guys. Tell Joe hi for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donald's Dad used to call us every Saturday night right about eleven o'clock. It is a wonder we ever had any grandchildren for him to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete