Sunday, September 20, 2009

Come Hail Or High Water

We've now lived here in Wyoming for over nine months. During that time, I've experienced less than one dozen thunderstorms. When there have been storms associated with lightning, it is absolutely incredible with blazing, sharp flashes of light that make my hairs stand up - most likely from fear!

Tonight our tv programming was interrupted for a special weather bulletin as the sirens were going off in the city. We were being warned about a severe thunderstorm and what time it should reach us and to be prepared. I put down all the windows since the wind began to increase and then, right on cue, the storm began. It sounded as though hard popcorn was hitting the windows and when I looked outside this is what I found falling... pea-sized hail. There was so much of it, it looked like snow (and we're supposed to get some of that some time tonight). Even the street and my car were covered in hail. Some people got quarter-sized hail, so we feel very lucky!
Joe is holding some of the hail I scooped up by our front door (the yellow stuff are tiny leaves which got blown off one of our trees).

The temperature tonight is supposed to get down to 34 degrees tonight and 27 degrees tomorrow night. Yep, we ain't in Georgia anymore with weather like this in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment