Sunday, January 20, 2008

Beginnings - Random Thoughts

Here it the beginning of a new year - 2008. I know, I know, it's already 20 days into the new year, but better late than never to start something new.

A couple of weeks ago when I was teaching my Gospel Doctrine class, we were talking about journals - how Nephi condensed his father's record and then made an account of his own life. Then there were the questions offered to the class (and myself), "Could you write a record of your life in a personal journal? Is your life history interesting enough for others to read? Many people say, 'I'm nobody. Who would want to hear stories of my life? They are all dull and insignificant." That's the way I've feel about my life. I seem to talk all the time about the same things over and over and they don't sound very interesting. But, then that's probably the way my mom and dad feel about their lives and I would love to know so much more about the real them - their thoughts, their feelings as they grew up, become parents and what they wanted to do and have done in their lives. Maybe one day you, Corey, and you, Nikki, will want to know more about me too. Maybe one day something that I've written will inspire you, but most especially maybe by beginning to start writing about me and my life, my grandchildren can discover the real me. Maybe I'll even discover things about myself that I hadn't thought about for years. Hopefully, this will be one of those "New Year's Resolutions" that can be kept on a regular basis....It will be random thoughts and memories - good and bad. But, I have been taught many truths by my parents, friends and teachers. I have had afflictions, trials, tribulations and challenges during my life. I have been highly blessed by my Heavenly Father, both spiritually and temporally. I have been blessed with a knowledge of my Heavenly Father's goodness to me. So, I can say, as Nephi did, "therefore I make a record" of these important events in my life. Not to be judged as either good or bad, but solely as my own personal experiences that have made me who I am and brought me to this point in my life.

So ready or not, here goes...

First and foremost, I want you to know that I am the most blessed woman in the world when it comes to my husband, Joe. I truly believe that the Lord had him reserved for me until such time as we were ready for each other. I love him for so many reasons...primarily because he makes me laugh! When I say laugh, I mean genuinely laugh until I have tears in my eyes and he makes me laugh every day. It could be from the moment I wake up in the morning until the last kiss goodnight. That may seem like a small thing to some people, but if you've ever been in a relationship where you don't really experience true joy and laughter, it comes as a blessing to have a person such as Joe in your life. Marriage is being able to share the good times and the bad times together and that means being able to cry and to laugh together and knowing that your husband is truly your best friend. It's one thing when your child loves you because hopefully you've been a good enough mother that you earn his love, but it's truly something different when a complete stranger accepts you with all your faults and shows his love to you each and every day without any expectations. You now how you sometimes find a song that expresses your feeling about someone or something? Well, the other day I was sitting at my desk listening to music when a song came on the computer radio station and I realized that it was the kind of song someone could have written for me to be sung about Joe. It was Bette Midler singing "My One True Friend". The lyrics go like this:

And now, is it too late to say, How you made my life so different in your quiet way? I can see the joy in simple things, A sunlit sky and all the songs we used to sing. I have walked and I have prayed. I could forgive and we could start again. In the end, You are my one true friend.

For all the times you closed your eyes, Allowing me to stumble or to be surprised, By life, with all its twists and turns. I made mistakes, you always knew that I would learn And when I left, it's you who stayed. You always knew that I'd come home again. In the end, you are my one true friend.

Though love may break, it never dies. It changes shape, through changing eyes. What I denied, I now can see. You always were the light inside of me. I know, I know, I know, I know it was you.

I have walked and and I have I prayerd. I could forgive and we could start again. In the end, you are my one true friend. My one true friend. I always, always knew, I always knew that it was you, my one true friend.

I've tried to include an easy way for you to see the video of the song. If it doesn't link you up, then atleast here is the address. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLdGUfJsC0

Well, enough about Joe for the moment as I could go on and on about him. You can rest assured there will be more about him in coming posts. As a mother and a wife, I only wish you two the kind of happiness and love that I have with Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment