Wednesday, January 1, 2014

It's A New Year And I'm Moving On?


Today began another new year.  This is the time when people usually take stock of their lives and see how badly they screwed up last year or remember some of the highlights of the previous twelve months of their lives.  It's also a time for many to sit down and decide or at least make an attempt to note, either mentally or recorded on paper or whatever that they are going to do something different;  they will make notes about how they want to improve their present lives; how they are going to make some type of change.

2014 came in this morning with a snowstorm.  I stayed up until 4:30 a.m. watching a series of shows that had been on my television DVR since September - four months ago!  I decided it was time to get them off one way or another so I settled down for the long haul to watch 14 recording episodes of one show.  I made it for eight of them before turning into bed.  What a waste of time, right?!  That's one of the things I'd like to change in this new year - feeling like I really am accomplishing things.

For the past several years, I've selected a word of the year.  At the beginning of the new year, I've gone back to reflect on how that word affected the next twelve months.  I noticed I didn't pick a word last year.  In fact, I only did eight posts during the entire year.  I probably only came up with titles for a few of those and never even wrote anything - it was a difficult year to adjust to my year of living alone.  The first time I'd lived alone by myself since 1977.  That's 36 years of having someone to have conversation with in my home every day and then it stops.  There were days when I didn't see a human being outside my home or even have a conversation with a living soul.  Don't get me wrong;  that's not bad sometimes.

Anyway, I digress from this new year...I'm not going to make resolutions.  I do want to sit down and come up with some workable goals to achieve.  This year will be different than previous ones.  I know because I will make it different.  I want to make a difference in my life and in the life of others.  I've been contemplating my 2014 word of the year and I believe it will be...

ACCOMPLISHMENT.

I want to finish or make headway on past projects that I started and haven't completed.  I want some previously used creativity to return.  I want to feel as though I have purpose in my life.  I want to make a difference to myself and to others. 

Last year was not a bad year.  It was a good year filled with many, many blessings.  But, there was a lack of fulfillment in my life - a wondering of why and what I am to do.  I need to find purpose this year and I've got 364 days until I report again.

No comments:

Post a Comment