Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas 2011

The road heading out of Casper on Friday morning was glazed over and frozen with several inches of ice and snow.  The driving was like this most of the way until we finally hit the interstate.

The lovely decorated Preston Christmas tree.
Saturday morning I was getting myself and Joe ready so I could take him for his Saturday morning dialysis session in Provo.  While getting ready, Corey started reading me an article in The Tifton Gazette that had been sent to him over his cellphone.  Read below...
---------------------------------------


TIFTON — You can count on Jim Cattell to read the Christmas Story as much as you count on Santa Claus to bring toys for good boys and girls tonight.

“My firm memory of doing this would be in Christmas 1960 when we lived in Virginia,” says Cattell, “but I also read it off and on during the early 1950s.”

This Christmas’ reading makes it at least the 51st time he’s told it to a hushed, special audience---his family.

Jim steps down from his living room to his bedroom, moves to the second rack of hanging clothes where a red vest stands out much like the bright star in the East on Christmas night. He gently removes the vest, makes his way back to the living room and puts it on over a white shirt and sits in his recliner.

The family of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren eats another treat and gets ready to hear him read the story that never changes.

Most of the family lived in and around Tift County, but not anymore. A grandson lives in Seattle, Washington and won’t make it to the family’s gathering. Other family members missed some of the in-person readings over the years.

“I remember when I was pregnant and living in Illinois and couldn’t make it home for Christmas,” says his daughter, Susan. “I was alone and dad sent a note I read on Christmas Eve.”

The note drew a comparison between the Virgin Mary and Susan, both young, a little frightened and about to deliver a baby.

“I’ll never forget it,” says Susan with a quiver in her voice.

A dark blue, leather bound Bible sits between Jim and his wife, Hazel , who wears a red dress and smiles with anticipation. Papers stick out the top of the Bible, as Jim’s big hand gently moves it from the table to his lap.

“My eyesight has failed me, so excuse me for not directly reading it from the Bible. I can assure you these words are the right words,” says Cattell.

Yes, you certainly can.

The orange highlight used to make Christmas Story’s Bible verses standout have faded, much like his vision, but his Christmas Eve memories haven’t.

He recalls recording an audio tape of the Story when he served in Viet Nam. He knew the annual party would continue stateside as it was their tradition, but Susan wondered if this was the year her father break it.

“I remember mother surprising us by removing two tapes from a box on Christmas Eve. One tape was just for her and the other was the Christmas story dad had recorded,” says Susan.

Jim remembers vividly that year. It was 1970. He commanded a language school in Saigon and rented a hotel ballroom for his 125 troops to celebrate Christmas. Literally a few miles away, it looked as if a fireworks show was under way, but it wasn’t.

“The war was that close, right across the Saigon River,” says Jim.

That night he heard a few holiday partiers a few barracks down from his.

“We didn’t have widows, just netting,” says Jim. He heard Christmas music in the distance.

“Someone played a banjo and the guys were singing,” says Jim. “Here I was 10,000 miles away from my family. I’ll remember this until the day I die.”

Like then, separation from family at Christmas is becoming the norm, not the exception.

“Now the family has begun getting scattered away and larger,” says Jim who counts 19 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren, plus their four children.

He made a DVD of the Story to send to those who can’t make it this year and for the family’s history album, all because of a story he knows by heart because his heart believes it no matter what might separate them on Christmas Eve.
----------------------------------------
As Corey was reading this to me, I was putting on my shoes.  At the conclusion, I made a comment like "Well, I see Susan managed to make it about her".  That is, what I recall, when Nikki lit into me about what I said.  "This story was supposed to be about Dad and a surprise to me.  I didn't get the message of the article.  Shame on me" and she went into tears.  Even Corey when a little crazy.  I tried to tell them they didn't know the story behind why I would say what I did.  It wasn't a surprise.  Susan had told me about it several weeks before.  In fact, Nancy had spoken to me about it also.  There was some disagreement between the two sisters as to whether Joe Courson should have even been asked to do this interview with Mom and Dad.  My understanding was that Nancy thought we should all remember how Dad looked and sounded in an earlier taped recording and not have him when he was much weaker and frailer.  I saw no problem with the new one since I didn't have a copy of any other reading at all.  Dad was even aware of all of this.  These discussions between the sisters and Dad had gone on for quite awhile.  But, it had been my understanding that all of us children would be asked for our impressions of the reading during an interview with Joe.  That never happened.  So, with Susan and her children being the only ones singled out with quotes and living locations AND her propensity for always seeking and wanting the limelight, that's why I made that comment.  I felt I was justified in saying what at that time - in the presence of my family, my son, my daughter-in-law, no other family member, but Nikki especially took issue to that.  In fact, she was so upset with me that she told me "why don't you just get your things and go home". 

I left immediately to take Joe to dialysis.  We discussed and debated about actually leaving and going home at the completion of his dialysis session.  Joe reminded me that this Christmas was about Derek and therefore, we should stay.  And, because of the text messages Corey kept sending asking me to please stay and not go home, we decided to stay.  It was a very strained weekend.

My joy came from seeing Derek and Corey open up their presents we had brought for them.  Nikki never expressed any joy or happiness for her gifts, but I'm hoping she enjoyed them.  They were items she had specially stated she wanted from a certain store and that's what we did.




This is the hat I bought from Corey when we made the trip back to Georgia in October.  Notice Joe's Elmo pants.



A gift from the kids for Joe.

Seeing his new bicycle from Papa Joe for the first time being wheeled into the living room.









It was a very strained weekend.  By far, it was one of the worst Christmases I can remember having. 

---------------------------------------
Note:  Tomorrow is Easter.  I called today and spoke with Corey and told him that we were planning on coming for a visit during Memorial Day weekend.  That would be the first time we'd all gotten together since Christmas - 5 months later.  Doesn't appear to be happening though as they will be going out of town to pick up a dishwasher that weekend.  It's a shame to live only 8-9 hours away and still not be able to see each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment