Sunday, June 13, 2010

Never Met A Cemetery I Didn't Like

Anyone who knows me and knows me well knows how much I LOVE visiting and checking out cemeteries. It's been fun discovering and exploring some of the old pioneer cemeteries on our excursions.

On the way back from Guernsey the other day, we passed another one which meant I just had to turn around and check it out. There is a stone near the gate which reads "Dedicated to the Pioneers Buried Here Who Settled the Dwyer Area”.

The community was named after J.E. Dwyer, railroad superintendent of the Colorado and Southern Railroad on which Dwyer was a station. (Would you believe that's all I could find out about Dwyer and J.E. Dwyer)?

The following two pictures show how the weather was starting to turn bad and it was definitely time to head home...

BTW...as far as cemeteries go, the Dwyer one was not one I would ever want to stop and visit again. It was not well marked and there appeared to not have been a burial there since the 1930's, The oldest graves appear to have been around 1847.

1 comment:

  1. I knew there was a reason I liked you--I too love cemeteries. Most people think that's pretty strange, but I just think it's peaceful and full of stories. Tell Papa Weaver hi for me!

    ReplyDelete